Naturalization - Providence Immigration Lawyer | RI deportation attorney
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-21536,page-child,parent-pageid-21406,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,select-theme-ver-3.8.1,vertical_menu_enabled,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive


U.S. Citizenship through Parents / Naturalization / N-400 Application for Naturalization

If certain conditions are met, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) may be eligible to become U.S. citizens. If their green card is based on marriage and they continue to reside with their U.S. citizen spouse, they qualify to apply for naturalization three years after the green card grant, assuming other conditions are met. For a person with a green card not obtained via a marriage to a U.S. citizen, the wait to apply for naturalization is five years from the green card grant.


An applicant for naturalization must pass a test in US history and government and further establish that she has been physically present in the United States for more than half of the applicable residency period, that she is a person of good moral character, and that she is able to speak, read and write simple English phrases.


Certain criminal convictions and visas obtained fraudulently in the past, among other reasons, would prevent a person from becoming a U.S. citizen. Attorney Claudia Grégoire has experience analyzing criminal histories to determine eligibility for naturalization.


Under certain circumstances, an individual may have derived or acquired U.S. citizenship from his parents. Those born abroad to two U.S. citizen parents are likely U.S. citizens themselves. Those with just one U.S. citizen parent may also be U.S. citizens, depending on the law in place at the time of their birth, among other factors. Attorney Grégoire has helped families determine their citizenship status and has successfully obtained Certificates of Citizenship by filing N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) and N-600K (Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322).